Thursday, October 4, 2012

Zucchini Pasta Chicken

I am a huuuuge pasta fan. Did I say HUGE??? Yep I sure did. I love me some pasta whether by itself or mixed in marinara sauce, it really doesn't matter. What matters however is my stomach no longer liking it. I refuse to think its anything more than my gut just saying, "give me a damn break from the pasta dude!" So I decided to do so.

But what do ya know, I still want me some spaghetti, though I resigned myself to not having it. Like anybody Jamaican, especially one who loves their food, toying with the idea of eating it anyway and contending with consequences later, did cross my mind. But thankfully, common sense prevailed and I went in search of an alternative.

And how happy I am to have found not only a substitute but a fat free, super low carb, eat all you can option! Two in fact! Thanks to paleo blogs like Paleomg, Nomnompaleo, Livinpaleo and others for opening up my eyes to the possibilities...they are ENDLESS!

So, what are these substitutes I am apparently so excited about (I can see you rolling your eyes at me)? Spaghetti squash and zucchini(cucumber cousin). Well, zucchini was obviously the first thing I was going to use, since I didn't have (the time) to go hunting for it. It was already in my fridge.

So how to make zucchini spaghetti? You can use a julienne peeler or a mandoline to slice up your zucchini and in seconds you've got even strips ready to cook up. If you have neither then it will take just a little bit if effort.

To make you'll need:
1 large zucchini, washed and end cut off
Vegetable peeler and kitchen knife and cutting board.

On the cutting board, hold zucchini upright, so it's standing in the flat, cut off end. With the vegetable peeler, or knife, slice down the whole length of the zucchini into pasta thin (think lasagna thick) strips. Then turning strips horizontally onto board, cut along length into 1/4" thick pieces.

Toss with salt and pepper and sauté in olive oil or cooking spray until slightly tender, 1 minute before serving.

To make sauce, you'll need:
1 small red onion (I love red onions)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp dried or fresh herbs (basil/oregano)
1 tsp honey (optional)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
1 cup cooked chicken (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat evoo in a skillet on med- high. Add onions and saute until slightly soft.
2. Add chicken to onions, let warm through.
3. While sautéing chicken, mix honey, vinegar, herbs and tomato sauce in a small bowl.
3. Add sauce to chicken and onions, turn heat down to medium, and mix until chicken is coated and sauce us heated through.

Prepare zucchini as directed above and serve with chicken.

Enjoy!

I will go in search of spaghetti squash...eventually. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment